Saturday, July 19, 2008

The next great step

The melody of guitars and garbage cans used as drums rocking the sandy and hot Mauritanian atmosphere; the quiet but obvious noise of people typing on their laptops letting the world know about their lives as PC trainees through emails, facebook or blogs; people kicking a soccer ball around sharing their PST experiences; while others try to recover after a month of battling an intense and different environment. This seems like a normal day at the nice Peace Corps Center at Rosso Mauritania but actually, it’s not. Something is about to happen and all these activities reflect an attempt to calms our impetus and get our minds prepared for the next step in our great adventure: Site announcement and visit.

Ever since I received my Peace Corps invitation kit on that snowy day in Alaska on the 25th of February, I imagined this upcoming moment. I’m definitely excited about being part of such a splendid endeavor like Girls Education and Empowerment Program. In whatever part that I get assigned at the Islamic Republique of the Mauritanie, I will give my best effort to promote the universal goal of human and gender egalitarianism. However, I must confess that that there are some questions that trouble my mind. Will I be at a big city or will I stay at the brousse? Is it going to be in the hot, intriguing and Moor north? Or will it be in the tropical and relaxed African south? Will I have a partner or will I be on my own? Will I have an existing Girls Mentor Center or will I have to start form scrap?

Well, on Monday we will get the answers to our multiple questions and, in a sense, we will find out what our lives are going to be for the next two years. Yes, the moment is almost here and even if we want to, we can’t stop it. If there is something sure, is that site announcement will rock our worlds. Inshallah.

No comments: